Agustin is Counsel in the firm’s Government Investigations, Compliance and Enforcement practice. He leverages his extensive background to assist clients in navigating federal, state and local regulation of tobacco, alcohol and other consumer products. He has unique experience advising on global supply chain risk management issues, specifically in Asia and Latin America.
Before joining the firm, Agustin was Vice President and Associate General Counsel at Altria Group, Inc., the largest tobacco company in the United States, where he was responsible, among other things, for coordinating the litigation and other legal work related to the multibillion-dollar tobacco settlement agreements, sometimes referred to as the tobacco Master Settlement Agreement (MSA).
In previous roles, he served in divisional general counsel roles for several Altria companies operating in the cigarette, cigar and smokeless tobacco categories and managed the legal work for Altria’s investor relations, procurement, manufacturing, sales, marketing, information services, environmental and real estate departments. In addition to his MSA experience, Agustin managed issues related to Food & Drug Administration (FDA) regulation, Federal Trade Commission (FTC) regulation, federal and state excise tax laws and regulations, federal and state licensing, cigarette minimum price laws, cigarette model complementary laws, unfair trade practices, antitrust, anticorruption and antibribery issues, investigations, securities laws, general compliance issues and other relevant legislative and rule-making issues.
Agustin is fluent in Spanish and proficient in Portuguese. He has coordinated numerous commercial, merger & acquisition, licensing and joint venture transactions and supply chain compliance programs in Europe, Latin America, Asia and Africa. He spearheaded the establishment of critical supply chains in China and Latin America, including associated compliance infrastructure, and also coordinated compliance exercises requiring travel to Africa, Bulgaria, China, Denmark, the Caribbean, South America, Germany, Greece, Israel, the Philippines, Sweden, Switzerland and Turkey. He helped build several regulatory compliance systems, including systems designed to mitigate exposure to risks in the areas of antitrust law, anticorruption/antibribery laws and corporate social responsibility.
- Represented tobacco company in multi-year arbitration with 18 states and territories over disputed payments of participating manufacturers under the MSA.
- Represented structured financial leasing company in federal breach of contract action against large Midwest public utility lessee.
- Represented tobacco company in litigation against and investigations by state and local agencies related to state and local regulation of cigars.
- Spearheaded establishment of critical supply chains in China and Latin America along with associated compliance infrastructure. Counseled consumer packaged goods client in establishing a supply chain with significant tax-efficient offshore components.
- Helped establish and counsel private equity investment arm of Fortune 200 consumer products company.
- Managed legal work related to European and Latin American tobacco and alcohol joint ventures.
- Supervised the company’s centralized enterprise-wide procurement contracting group.
Related Practices and Industries
Professional and Community Involvement
- Virginia Commonwealth University School of Business, Adjunct Faculty teaching Legal Environment of Business
- Startup Virginia, Mentor
- Housing Opportunities Made Equal of Virginia, Inc., Board Chair and Director
- Richmond SPCA, Director
- Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, Trustee, 2007-2012
- Leadership Metro Richmond, Class of 2006
Rankings and Recognition
- Virginia Rising Star, Super Lawyers (2007)
- Emerson G. Spies Award, Virginia Bar Association
- University of Chicago School of Law, J.D., 1994
- Princeton University, Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, B.A., 1990
- Harvard Business School, Corporate Governance & Leadership in the Boardroom
- University of Chicago Booth School of Business, Mergers and Acquisitions